Query.searchetan.com is a browser hijacker, sometimes referred to as a redirect virus. Hijackers are not very dangerous but they can still cause a lot of annoyance. They aim to redirect you to sponsored content and that is why it changes your browser’s settings. It will set a different homepage without your permission and you will be stuck with it until you get rid of Query.searchetan.com. It should be noted that most of the redirects you will experience may be harmless but some could bring about a malware infection. The hijacker is not worth the trouble so we suggest you remove Query.searchetan.com. If you are wondering about how it managed to enter your computer, it used the bundling method, which means that you allowed it to get in yourself.
How does Query.searchetan.com spread?
The spread method is called bundling and it essentially involves the hijacker being attached to freeware. In order to install only the freeware, you need to manually deselect the added items. This can be done in Advanced or Custom settings of the installation process. All you have to is uncheck the boxes that appear there. You can then continue installing the freeware.
Should you uninstall Query.searchetan.com?
After you install the hijacker, it will take over your browser immediately. Query.searchetan.com will be set as your homepage and new tabs. Your default search engine will also be changed. These changes will apply to most browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and they will be carried out without your permission. You will not be able overrule the modifications because the hijacker will keep changing them. So until you remove Query.searchetan.com, you are essentially stuck with a questionable website as your homepage. The provided search engine will lead you to Saferbrowser Yahoo and thus you should be careful when using it because you may encounter sponsored pages as your results. The hijacker aims to redirect you to those pages because that is how it generates income. It may not be the case with this particular hijacker, but some of them are able to lead users to dangerous, malware-infected websites. If you were to roam about such a website, eventually you would encounter malware, which could do serious harm to your computer. This is why we recommend you delete Query.searchetan.com.
There are two ways to delete Query.searchetan.com, depending on your experience with computers. If you feel confident you can erase Query.searchetan.com manually, you can proceed with that. Below this article, there will be instructions provided to help you. While with manual Query.searchetan.com removal, you will have to find the hijacker yourself, if you choose to terminate Query.searchetan.com automatically, the anti-malware software will do it for you. We suggest the later option for this reason.
Learn how to remove Query.searchetan.com from your computer
- Step 1. Manual Query.searchetan.com Removal Guide
- Step 2. Eliminate Query.searchetan.com from browsers
Step 1. Manual Query.searchetan.com Removal Guide
a) Uninstall from Windows 8/7/Vista
- Right-click on the lower left corner or click on Start
- Choose Control Panel from the list
- Select Uninstall a program
- Pick the unwanted application and click Uninstall
b) Uninstall from Windows XP
- Open Start menu and go to Control Panel
- Click on Add or Remove Programs
- Choose the unwanted program and click Remove
Step 2. Eliminate Query.searchetan.com from browsers
a) Delete Query.searchetan.com from Internet Explorer
- Click on the Gear icon and open Internet Options
- Overwrite your home page on the General tab
- Go back to the Gear icon and select Manage Add-ons
- In Toolbars and Extensions, delete unwanted add-ons
- In Search Providers, terminate Query.searchetan.com
- Pick a new search engine and click OK
b) Remove Query.searchetan.com from Google Chrome
- Click on Google Chrome menu
- Select More tools and go to Extensions
- Eliminate unwanted browser extensions
- Go to Settings and choose Open a specific page or set of pages
- Click on Set pages and choose a new home page
- Click Manage search engines under Search
- Erase Query.searchetan.com and set a new search engine
c) Query.searchetan.com removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons
- In Extensions, delete unwanted browser extensions
- Go back to the menu and select Options
- On the General tab, modify your home page
- On the Search tab, remove Query.searchetan.com and set a new provider